IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In the fiscal year 2021, IFC committed a record $31.5 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information, visit www.ifc.org
The Financial Institutions Group (FIG) is one of the IFC’s key Departments responsible for a significant portion of IFC’s business volume, profitability and development reach, approximately 40%. FIG engages in a wide range of sub-sectors including Microfinance, SME, Gender, Climate, Insurance, Capital Markets, Housing, Distressed Assets, and other areas, with both investment and advisory services delivered globally to IFC’s clients through IFC’s global network. FIG has three main objectives: 1) financial inclusion 2) servicing the real economy and 3) mobilizing third-party resources.
The Financial Institutions Group is responsible for originating and executing investment transactions in the financial sector in the South Asia region. The financial sector is a key priority in the region and the IFC is seeking to increase the number of investments both in volume and number in the region.
The South Asia Division is looking to recruit a Senior Investment Officer to join it’s Financial Institutions Group to be based in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
Duties and Accountabilities:
- Ability to tap into and leverage resources through expertise in the industry and region and sector, including risks, market dynamics, and regulatory structures.
- Able to read and anticipate shifts in market trends and the implications for IFC’s current and future business.
- Ability to direct and review complex financial information and financial analytical work performed by team members and quickly assess what it means as well as identify where there are gaps, inaccuracies, or inappropriate applications.
- Demonstrated success developing new business and deals that add value to a diverse group of clients in countries at different income levels and with different political economies, involving a broad range of IFC products and instruments.
- Capacity to identify specific interventions to remove or mitigate market creation barriers in sectors and geographies using new approaches that go beyond IFC, business line, industry, or region to enable private sector investment.
- Capacity to lead successful negotiations with clients and different stakeholders based on an in-depth understanding of IFC requirements, policies, and practices as well as client and stakeholder interests. Ability to offer alternative solutions to capitalize on opportunities and overcome impasses.
- Ability to develop a client engagement plan and implement it by maintaining ongoing relationships with senior-level clients, developing a deep knowledge of their business and priorities, anticipating their unexpressed needs, and helping them look beyond markets where they are currently active.
- Ability to learn from and exercise influence in working-level relationships across the WBG to develop a deeper understanding of how they work and their priorities and interests, advocate for IFC’s priorities, and identify opportunities to work together to open new markets for private sector investment.
- Ability to understand the political context and mindset of government officials to connect their interests with what it would take to create a business climate and incentives for private sector investment in their countries.
- Possesses an extensive internal and external network with key players in the sector, country and region, and an ability to leverage those networks to maintain expertise, identify and capitalize on business opportunities, bring deals to closure, and obtain approvals.
- Integrate a broad range of complex issues, challenges, perspectives, and recommendations into a cohesive narrative.
- Able to clearly illustrate the long-term financial and economic benefit of IFC/ WBG offerings and how those benefits align with client and government needs and priorities, including in more difficult contexts (IDA and FCS).
- Ability to engage and guide productive discussions with key stakeholders and decision-makers where there is resistance to proposed business opportunities or deals and where mutual understanding ultimately occurs.
- Ability to supervise staff in business development, processing, portfolio management, or specialty area by providing technical guidance and delegating work to build and effectively use the talents of staff and balance workloads.
- Ability to guide, advise, mentor, and coach junior staff and peers to develop and broaden their scope of skills, including providing on-the-job learning opportunities. Critical for challenging markets.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to describe complex issues, approaches, and lessons in a manner that is relevant and understandable to clients/stakeholders.
- Master’s degree in Finance, Economics, Accounting or similar relevant education; accreditation as a CFA or CPA is considered a plus.
- Minimum of 12 years of relevant experience in the financial sector, including a solid operational understanding of commercial banks and other financial entities in the region.
- Demonstrated network of top-level contacts in the financial services and investment industries in the region.
- Advanced financial, credit, and risk evaluation skills, with demonstrated ability to structure and negotiate a variety of complex financial instruments (debt and equity); experience in portfolio management.
- Documented experience identifying, originating, and qualifying new business opportunities developing and executing results-driven client engagements.
- Sound business judgment and strong problem solving/negotiation skills, as well as the ability to work effectively on simultaneous projects under time pressure.
- Excellent business judgment and strong analytical and problem-solving skills to identify issues and present creative, practical solutions.
- Capacity to deal with conflicting priorities and deliver high-quality work on schedule; facility to work successfully in multicultural teams and across boundaries.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with the business community and governmental authorities, as needed.
- Demonstrated strong written, presentation, and business-level communications skills in English.
- Ability to synthesize and present information effectively and tailored to different audiences.
- Genuine commitment to sustainable development.
- The position requires regional and international travel.
- Excellent oral and written presentation skills in English are required;
- Experience in International markets other than Sri Lanka will be an advantage.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life, and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.